Monday

21. The Story of Roberto Clemente

By Wilfred Santiago

I don't really know anything about baseball. At all. Last year, I thought that Roberto Alomar was dead. He isn't.

To be honest, I chose this graphic novel from the autumnal display in the library, which involved orange books. I was surprised by how much I liked it.

"It's not a bad pitch if I hit it."

This story isn't just about baseball. It is about one man and the obstacles he overcomes in his life. Jumping back and forth between the USA and Puerto Rico, we see pieces of Roberto's story come together. The stories range from childhood experiences in the 1930s in San Juan to Major League Baseball games in the 1950s.



I have to say that I knew nothing about Clemente before reading this book. Now, I feel like I understand him and his story. He left the land of his birth to follow his dream of playing baseball professionally. He dominated on the diamond, played passionately, and had impressive record-breaking statistics. Santiago brilliantly depicts Clemente's life as Latin American player in the USA, his struggles with English and his consistent homesickness. Clemente never forgot his family and his home; he is national hero who took care of his own.

Coincidentally, I just read that Roberto's family paid a visit to Roberto Clemente Academy in Detroit today. Read more about their visit here.

♥ Meg xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment