Saturday

the perks of being a wallflower

by Stephen Chbosky

Dear friend, 
This book was a re-read for me, before the movie comes out. I shouldn't have done it. This is why: I like this book. Now it is fresh in my mind for when the movie inevitably ruins it. Movies based on books always get me excited. I can't wait for other people to experience the same awesomeness I did when I read the book in the first place. But then, the movie is never how I pictured it and I go home disappointed. I know, I know. I shouldn't get excited in the first place. But I do, and the cycle begins again. 
Love always, 
Meg 

"If you listen to the song "Asleep," and you think about those pretty weather days that make you remember things, and you think about the prettiest eyes you've know, and you cry, and the person holds you back, then I think you will see the photograph" 

The above is the way by which perks of being a wallflower is styled. The protagonist, Charlie, writes a letter almost every day for a year to a "friend."  Readers follow him throughout his first year in high school and get to witness his life through his own eyes. We only get to feel what Charlie feels and think what Charlie thinks. Readers get to learn all about Charlie's foray into smoking, drugs and alcohol. We experience his love for one of his best friends, the Rocky Horror Picture Show, and "Asleep" by the Smiths.

This book is one highschooler's perspective on life. He feels everything to the extreme and often cries out of love, loss, or happiness. As a reader, we get to feel lonely, anxious, heart-broken, ecstatic and hopeful along with Charlie. 

I'm a little worried about how this creative interpretation of the social fringes of high school will be transferred to the big screen. Narrated voice-over, maybe? I mean, the entire book is made up of letters. As usual, though, I have high hopes for the movie; I liked the source material. 

Reading about Charlie and his friends makes me want to talk to those teenagers I see huddled in front of my neighbouring high school and ask them, "Do you feel infinite?"

♥ Meg xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment