Monday

I Love You, Miss Huddleson

[...] and other inappropriate longings of my indiana childhood

I chose Philip Gulley's memoir based on the cover. Not going to lie. Back to school was looming and there was this book with a sweet school photo on the cover. And the title. I mean... I guess I was hoping that my new students would love me. For some reason, I thought that this book would be all about teachers and experiences at school.

"Every teacher I'd ever had was a hundred years old, with large flaps of fat underneath their upper arms that jiggled when they wrote on the chalkboard. But not Miss Huddleson."

Turns out that Miss Huddleson is only one chapter in a book of lovely stories that conjure pictures in the reader's mind of bicycle rides, rope swings into a river, paper routes, camping trips and simpler times.  

Gulley perfectly describes it himself in the preface, saying that his book is not "a careful narrative, meticulously following the march of days. It is a story, and a story has a way of shifting with the sands of time."

I liked the book because it was different - it was real. Gulley says that he tells true stories that may be exaggerated, and I like it that way. When I was reading, it was as if I was hearing a family legend, told over and over again at holiday dinners. 

I don't usually read biographies or memoirs for pleasure, so I was delighted by how much I enjoyed this story.

♥ Meg xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment